Visiting Scholars at IURD
This program is intended for faculty members from other universities on sabbatical leave, post-doc researchers and professionals with PhD or other terminal degrees seeking a place to think, write, and reflect. The application process is very competitive, and it is essential that there is a relationship between your interests and the research being conducted at IURD. We ask you to author a publication while in residence; if appropriate, we will publish it as an IURD working paper. We also encourage you to present your work at the IURD Visiting Scholars’ Roundtable. Visiting scholars are to be in residence for no longer than one year.
If your research is not connected to IURD projects, or if you are a PhD student, you will need to apply to one of the departmental visiting scholar programs. Contact the faculty member with whom you wish to affiliate, and ask for guidance in the departmental application process.
How to Apply
To be considered for a visiting scholar appointment, please provide the following information:
- Your CV with information on education, research, and current academic affiliation.
- A one page description of the research that you would like to do at IURD. Include a description of the publication you will prepare while in residence.
- The period of time you would like to stay at IURD (and how much flexibility you have
- Verification that you are financially independent during your stay. If you are funded by an institutional source (e.g., a university, grant, or company) please let us know.
- Written assurance from an IURD faculty member verifying that your proposed research is connected to funded research being conducted at IURD.
Please email your application materials to IURD Director, Jason Corburn, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The director will interview applicants and notify them of their acceptance in 4-6 weeks.
IURD Visiting Scholars Administrative Fee
All IURD Visiting Scholars will be charged a $3,000 fee to cover expenses related to administering the Visiting Scholars program. Each fee payment will be for a one-year (2 semester) period. Those who will be in residence for one semester or less must still pay a $1,500 fee. Should Visiting Scholars receive extensions to their appointments beyond one year, an additional fee will be charged for each additional year. Within two weeks of an appointment, the IURD Visiting Scholar must submit the payment, by check or money order made out to "Regents of the University of California", to Andrea Martinez, IURD's Human Resources Manager (email@example.com), 316B Wurster Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-1839.
English Language Proficiency
Effective January 1, 2015 the Department of State implemented new J rules. We must document an "objective measurement" of English language proficiency for all J-1 Exchange Visitors. There are three (3) ways to verify and document a scholar's English Language Proficiency (ELP):
- A recognized English language test (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS)
- Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school (Template)
- A documented interview conducted by the faculty sponsor/UCB host department designee (either in-person or by videoconferencing, or by telephone if videoconferencing is not a viable option) (Template)
Current Visiting Scholars
senior researcher, oslo and akershus university college of applied sciences, Norway
Appointed: 8/8/2015 - 7/31/2016
Lecturer, technical university, munich
Appointed: 10/6/2015 - 7/7/2016
Alberto de oliveira
professor, federal university of rio de janeiro (UFRJ)
Appointed: 8/3/2015 - 7/31/2016
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITY
Appointed: 2/15/2016 - 6/30/2016
ASSOCIATE Professor, SOUTH CHINA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
Professor of Urban Design, Urban Planning, and Landscape Architecture, Ph.D. Advisor,
Department of City Planning, Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), China
Executive Director, HIT-UCB / IURD Joint Research Center of Sustainable Urban Development
Appointed: 3/26/2014 -2/10/2017
liaison officer, politecnico di milano, italy
research associate, nanjing university